For other related logos and images, see:
|2008–2009 (pre-launch)||2009–2010 (pre-launch)||2010–2011||2011–present|
The Oprah Winfrey Network - a new television network that would replace Discovery Health - was announced in January 2008, almost three years ahead of its eventual launch; therefore, it had already gone through two different official logos that never made it to the screen.
The first logo was revealed with the announcement and was derived from the logo used during the last few seasons of The Oprah Winfrey Show.
- Oprah Winfrey and Discovery Communications to Form New Joint Venture: 'OWN: The Oprah Winfrey Network' - PRNewswire, January 15, 2008
The second pre-launch logo was revealed in 2009.
OWN's final launch logo was unveiled with a new website in mid-October 2010. The channel officially launched on January 1, 2011.
- Our OWN Makeover - The OWN Blog, October 14, 2010
- The Many Layers of Oprah - Brand New, October 26, 2010
- The Oprah Winfrey Network’s New Logo Is Very Colorful!, Vulture, October 27, 2010
- BIGSMACK Designs/Animates Oprah Winfrey Network’s On-Air Branding - Creative Cow, January 7, 2011
- BIGSMACK and the new OWN Promos - Vizworld, January 7, 2011
- OWN Branding 2011 - The Rebranded on YouTube, January 8, 2011
- BigSmack creates OWN look - Post Magazine, January 7, 2011
- "The OWN on-air look conceptually takes viewers inside the ”O” of the logo — a modern, warmly lit world that abstractly resembles the look of naturally blown glass combined with an array of organic elements and digital animation.
- One of BIGSMACK’s notable contributions was the idea of color-coding the on-air elements for specific times of the day. In the morning, the look veers toward a palate of orange and yellow hues; while a green tint marks the afternoon; and cool purple and burgundy shades represent the evening hours.
- ‘’Using different colors gave us the freedom to explore the logo in different ways,’’ says Hann, who presented the BIGSMACK pitch directly to Winfrey and her team. ‘’We chose to present the logo as a sculpture, a piece of crystal art that grabs viewer’s attention and makes a statement, giving the mark a feeling of importance. Going inside the ‘O’ is a metaphor for journey, personal growth, and awakenings, which is what Oprah is all about.’’ - BIGSMACK press release
On October 1, 2011, the Oprah Winfrey Network debuted a slightly updated version of the original on-air logo used since the launch; in this version, the full name of the network is rendered in smaller type, while the serifs on the "W" and "N" were removed. The logo's colours were changed to become monochrome, with the wordmark now in 2D.